Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, March 26, 2012

EMOTIONAL BLUNTING

by Lynnie Gobeille


“People taking antidepressants and anti psychotics may not experience strong emotions in reaction to public catastrophes... the drugs cause ‘emotional blunting,’ a phenomenon that's widely noted and studied."  --from an interview (by Arnie Cooper) with Christopher Lane , The Sun, March 2012.


Slow to react I am
concerned though I might be
about Wall Street, Iraq, and Iran
I really try not to worry (much)
as what good would that worry do me?
My son, age 5, is on Adderall
to help regain his focus in school;
my daughter, she’s 12, is on Seroquel-
the med got her thru the spelling bee
until she was tripped up on “jewel” . . .
Slower to react, I am
not as concerned as I should be
by the unearthing of my husband’s latest tryst
(he had a fling with our young college boarder)
his behavior caused, or so I’m told
by his “hypersexual disorder.”
I really try not to worry (much)
really, what good times would my worry spoil?
Though I must confess the BP spill
those pitiful gulls
floating in all that messy oil
caused me great heartache and emotional toil.
My doctor said: “this too will pass”
said I have:  “post traumatic embitterment disorder.”
Still, there’s this dull ache of something off in the distance
a feeling that comes and goes with no reason . . .
some faint hint of memory; lingering just to my right
Vietnam, Kent State, Roe vs. Wade, Watergate and Treason.
I took my Xanax today; lay on my couch to repent.
Slow to react, I am,
concerned as I might be;
I really try not to worry (much)
as what good would that worry do me.


Lynnie Gobeille is one of the co-founders of  The Origami Poems Project, a world wide “free poetry event” based in Rhode Island. She has published in The Sow's Ear Review, Crone’s Nest, The Avatar, The Prairie Home Companion, This I Believe (NPR), The New Verse News, The Providence Journal (Poetic License) and The Naugatuck River Review.  Her  micro-chapbooks have been published by The Origami Poems Project.
_____________________________________________________