Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE, SUCKER!

by Tim Connelly


Image source: CNN


The head guy at the VA says
he won’t be able to send checks out
if Congress doesn’t end the shutdown.
Overwhelmed with fear.
It turned into an angry day.
I don’t like angry days.
I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
PTSD is an anxiety disorder
and the anxiety is in full bloom.
Republicans (yes, republicans) have created a stressor,
and I don’t appreciate it.
I called my doctor at the VA
and told her I’m being used as a pawn
in this political game.
A pawn in Vietnam,
and again expendable.
Don’t "Thank me for my service."
on one day
and then screw me
on the next day.
What are you going to say to me on Veterans Day
when I can’t pay my bills?


Tim  Connelly has been a soldier, a reporter, and without a home. He now has a home and has discovered poetry as a way of expressing his feelings about war, poverty and the human condition.