Saturday, October 10, 2026

CHRISTA PIKE GAINS CONSCIOUSNESS AND EVA MARIE SAINT DIES

by Alex Stolis




I want to believe these two things

are not related. Want to believe Christa 

was reliving what she had done. 


I want to believe Eva believed 

she was dreaming. Was on a train—

Cary Grant reaching for her hand. 


I want to believe they both saw 

the same white light, felt the same

magnetic tug. 


I believe in science—the brain 

an electrical circuit of neurons 

triggering images. 


Trees lose chlorophyll. Leaves turn,

fall. Ground freezes then hardens 

as earth tilts away from the sun. 


Still, it’s nice to think they passed 

each other—a flicker of knowing

what each of them lost. 



Alex Stolis has had poems published in numerous journals. Two full length collections, Pop. 1280 and John Berryman Died Here were released by Cyberwit and available on Amazon. His work has previously appeared or is forthcoming in Piker’s Press, Ekphrastic Review, Louisiana Literature Review, Burningwood Literary Journal, and Star 82 Review. His chapbook Postcards from the Knife-Thrower's Wife was released by Louisiana Literature Press, RIP Winston Smith from Alien Buddha Press, and The Hum of Geometry; The Music of Spheres in by Bottlecap Press. He lives in upstate New York with his partner, poet Catherine Arra.