Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

THE DUMPSTER

by c harvey


Bring it on!

Fill me baby
My mouth is one
gaped mouth cocksucker
squawking CAW! CAW! CAW!
Fill me, baby
stale cookies sour milk coffee grounds
shitty diapers bloodly godly knives toxic kotex
Fill me, baby
secret war papers soaked in piss
whole cakes and uneaten pies
unshredded general ledgers
sick poems dead novels
Fill me, baby
Your old televisions still playing
the lies of Leave it to Beaver and
And “Whites Only” Andy Griffith--
had they thought, they would have
air brushed the freckles off Opie.
Don’t forget your shoes and dead babies
crawling with maggots
Fill me, baby
with those twin towers
knocked down and set afire
with Arabic malice and spleen
Oh how I choked on that glass and guts
but I got it down my belly
steel girder and lovely arm
swallowed whole.
Fill me, baby
with the diabetic legs of old soldiers
and the young arms blown off in Baghdad.
My maggots crawl up the columns of
1600 Penn Avenue
See the boys and that black gal inside
slapping their red necks
HAW! HAW! HAW!
I’m a dumpster in America, baby.


c harvey is a poet and fiction writer residing in Houston Texas. He has been published in various places--The James White Review, The Ontario Review, Shade, Soulfires. He is working on a novel called The Road to Astroworld, and a poetry collection called out of the blue.