Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

SURPRISE VISIT

by Martha Deed


“How’s morale?” I ask upon my arrival at your house
on a surprise visit that did not require an invitation
Have you stopped fighting with your brothers
as I demanded after I sent in the neighborhood
bullies to take away your toys? You who choose
to leave your chamber, I’ll show you what fun is–
It’s sneaking off in the night with Condi and her buddies
leaving Laura to sulk at home with her “pinched nerve”
from doing you-know-what with me,
and don’t you just love it – the Tony phony schedule
to throw you news bastards off the scent
and Air Force One dark with excitement
in its hangar– waiting just for me
But just because we’re having fun at your expense
don’t think you can photograph my bad side
see me salute our happy troops thrilled to play
Hide and Seek Cops and Robbers in the sand
and the sign – Oh, God, I love the sign stuck there
waiting for me just in case I come to visit again
like Thanksgiving


Martha Deed's chapbook, 65 x 65, was recently published by Peter Ganick's small chapbook project (December 2006). Her poems have recently appeared in Shampoo, unlikelystories, 3by3by3, 21 Stars, and Iowa Review Web (with Millie Niss). Her website is www.sporkworld.org/Deed.