Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

CLIMATE CHANGE

by David Chorlton
 

Image source: The Climate Reality Project
 
After the recorded message
came a living voice
asking for help in stopping the president
weeks before his inauguration.
Which of these issues do you think
is most important?
I said Climate change,
she spoke right over me, beginning with
Voter fraud, and I repeated myself.
Then she suggested the assault
on second amendment rights.
Climate change.
She pretended not to hear, and went on
to repealing Obamacare.
I told her nothing else would matter
when the planet gasps for breath.
She named the candidate
who would lead the way
and asked if I’d help.
Why did you call this number?
She told me I must have supported the cause
in the past. I told her
What matters is Climate change.
She assured me it isn’t too early
to begin sending money.
Let me get this right; we’re heading
into the future fully armed
with God’s love to guide us,
the stars and stripes flying, marching to Souza
and glory bound. She paused a few seconds
before saying
Yes, and I could tell right then
that in politics, the climate
will never change.
 
 
David Chorlton has lived in Phoenix since 1978, and still sees his surroundings with an outsider's eye. This helps his writing projects, which include a new poetry collection, "The Devil's Sonata," from FutureCycle Press.