Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, December 14, 2020

OLD GUY AWAITS VACCINE

by Earl J. Wilcox


 "Time waits for no man,” watercolor by SuayaArt.


So far I have outlived whooping cough, measles, mumps, shingles,
strokes, dementia, the Apocalypse, the Rapture, three years eleven
months of the T***P madness, perhaps one Kardashian, zombie
uprisings, my dear mate of six decades, three siblings, one child, eviction,
twenty-four Marvel Universe movies, hundreds of episodes of Friends
and Big Bang Theory, dear Alex Trebek, bankruptcy, cancer, plus
millions of maladies and diseases about which I am totally ignorant.
If I live another few days or weeks, perhaps the vaccine will find me
and my generation still optimistic we can add Covid-19 to the lists
of days and hours of this world we miss.


Earl Wilcox in his late 80s awaits the vaccine in South Carolina.