Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Thursday, October 27, 2022

PLAGUE DOCTOR

by Douglas Richardson 


Plague doctor image: detail from Paul Fürst engraving, c. 1721. —Public Domain via Wikipedia



Anticipating a pleasant evening
filling eclairs in the bakery
I set off on the freeway
satisfied in my own company
but a sudden swerve with violent whiplash
compels me into the pipes and flares
of the oil refinery
where I swear I see
mingling with its anatomy
a plague doctor from the 17th century
black beak
Black Death
black piano key
black thorn in humanity
I chase but he evades me
I reason but he goads me
I dare not tell a soul
 

Douglas Richardson is a poet and novelist who lives in Santa Ana, California, with his wife Jen and cat Wes. His poetry has been published in The American Journal of PoetryAnti-Heroin ChicBlack Poppy ReviewCajun Mutt PressHobo Camp ReviewThe Nervous BreakdownThe New Verse NewsStraight Forward PoetryTrouvaille Review, and Poetry Super Highway. In 2013, he won the Poetry Super Highway contest with his entry, “Notes from the Graveyard Shift.”