Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Sunday, April 14, 2024

PICKING UP THE SETTLEMENT CHECK FROM MY SON’S WRONGFUL-DEATH CASE DURING THE ECLIPSE

by Susan Vespoli




My dead son was in the car 
with me as I drove to the lawyer’s
office to pick up my net-settlement check
and we drove past a laughing-Buddha chihuahua 
running against traffic down the center of Dunlap
 
and we drove through a split of mountain crags 
and we drove past a guy twirling and tossing a red-arrow 
sign at an intersection and my heart and gut felt on fire 
with raw grief and I said, “Well, here we are, Adam,” 
 
meaning the end of the lawsuit 
and even as I wanted to sob and flail
I could feel him smiling beside me, 
saying, there, there, like a benevolent cloud. 
 
When the paralegal handed me the check, 
she beamed as if we should don party hats, throw confetti 
and I wanted to pop every balloon in the place, 
wave the rectangular piece of paper in the air 
and say, this represents my son’s life.
 
Outside, humans were wearing tiny plastic glasses 
and looking up at the sun and the sky 
over the parking lot glowed fluorescent 
and this check felt like me saying it was okay the cop shot my son 
 
but I have fallen into a sort of love
with a man who is ironically a lawyer 
who has helped me interpret the mind-fuck 
of the legal system, understand that money the City 
of Phoenix had to pay caused them pain to spark change
 
and it is springtime on the planet 
where my son’s physical body is only a memory 
and there is a throng of 5’ tall sunflowers 
standing outside my bedroom window 
and the ocotillo in my front yard, mere sticks and thorns 
a month ago, is now covered with soft green and topped with flame-
colored flowers the wind flutters into candles on a cake.


Susan Vespoli lives in Phoenix, AZ, where citizens are still waiting for the release of the DOJ report regarding the Phoenix Police Department's excessive use of force. Her son, Adam, was killed by a police officer on March 12, 2022.