Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE OF 2024

by Cecil Morris



Cartoon by Nick Anderson


In the other room the Presidents debate
or speak in sound bites, trade accusations,
paint themselves in camouflage of words
and I can’t listen, sickened by them both,
these two awful ghosts of elections past,
one a self-aggrandizing victim stew,
one the merest shadow of glory gone.
I hear myself and my sister in single digits:
I know you are but what am I, I am rubber
you are glue, bounces off me sticks to you.
This format guaranteed failure. It makes
my heart shrivel, my stomach ache and cry.
Have we learned nothing? I think of my kid’s
guinea pig Harry on his squeaking wheel.
He learned the sound of the vegetable bin
being opened and knew it was time to scream
for cilantro, for parsley, for something
that fed him. I think of Peggy Lee’s voice,
weary, worn, singing “Is that all there is?”
and wonder if we can save ourselves
from self destruction, from bombast and hate,
if we can learn to recognize what’s best
for us, for our children, and work for that.
I want to request asylum without
having to wait for years in a crowded line
in a country foreign to my dreams.


Cecil Morris, a retired high school English teacher, has poems appearing or forthcoming in Ekphrastic Review, Hole in the Head Review, The New Verse News, Rust + Moth, Sugar House Review, Willawaw Journal, and elsewhere. He and his patient partner, the mother of their children, divide their year between the cool Oregon coast and California’s relatively dry Central Valley.