Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send 1-3 unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Tuesday, October 01, 2024

DENVER VOICE (LESS!)

by Jacob Richards




I feel low;

low down.

The little street paper 

that i wrote for is shutting down


Woe is me.

It wasn’t much

A story a month.


It didn’t pay enough, 

to even justify the rewrites

but stubbornly, 

and at a loss to me and my family,

I carved out time and brainpower;

I called and emailed;

developed sources

attended meetings!


The gig; the last link

to a dream

of being a paid writer.

No matter how little it paid.


It was never about the $$$
but telling a story.

I think I will miss calling city hall

with questions

and having them fear me,

most of all.


Without a paper,

Who am I even writing for?

Why did I go to college?


Then I saw on 9 News...


The unhouse vendors of The Voice.


A man with a beard:

“When they told me 

they were shutting down,

I stayed in bed for three days”


An older woman, with red hair

And thick glasses:

“This is the longest job I’ve ever held in my life--

to be honest.”


A black man in front of a mural:

“I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep this paper going.”


Perspective is everything.



Author’s Note: Please consider joining the growing effort to save The Denver Voice! Colorado's only street paper.  Donate — The Denver VOICE 



Jacob Richards is a writer, editor, activist, and wilderness guide in Western Colorado.