Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

BE MY PET

by George Held

Pet girl kicked off bus for wearing leash. —Reuters, 23 Jan. 2008

Come live with me, and be my pet.
Think of all the stroking you’ll get.

Wear a collar, like a collie;
Be my lap dog and my dolly.

Show the gang that you’re contented
To be my pet, you’ve consented.

Come live with me, and be my pet:
Jewels and spankings you will get.

On your leash you will learn to heel,
When to turn and whether to wheel,

How to roll over and how to fetch,
When to trot on all fours, my bitch.

I’ll chuck your chin and pat your head;
I’ll even teach you to play dead.

Come live with me, and play the pet;
It’s the best offer you will get.


George Held has previously contributed to The New Verse News. His latest poetry collection is The Art of Writing and Others (www.finishinglinepress.com, 2007).