Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, June 30, 2014

THE RULE OF LAW

by Lucille Gang Shulklapper





I am woman, where are men ?

On the Supreme Court, inside 100 foot buffer zones,
 in states where they enforce vaginal probes,
in Congress where they love my fetus,
but starve my child when she is born?

I am woman.  Where are men?

Here are black men who stand in long lines to vote ,
poor men who hunger on minimum wage,
lawless men who start wars with lies,
Congressmen who tie our president’s hands,
rap a gavel every three days, say the Senate
is at work, deny climate change, control
my body to let others counsel me,
but not counsel them.

Here are men,
In the Supreme Court,
ruling corporations are people
ruling women’s health rights
are not buffered in the
Divided States of America.
  
 I am woman.  Where are men?
I am woman.   Where is mankind?

Lucille Gang Shulklapper is a widely-published poet and fiction writer with work appearing in Slant, Consequence, Main Street Rag, and New Verse News among others, as well as four poetry chapbooks.  A new poetry chapbook and a picture book are forthcoming in 2014.