Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Thursday, September 02, 2021

MY BODY

by Claire Sapan




In bed each night I am grateful for the body that is mine: 
Skin that protects me, allows me to feel 
Tongue that gives me taste 
Heart that allows me to feel 
But somewhere along the way you decided my body
Was yours
You disassemble me 
Like a Barbie
Bending me in your direction 
At your discretion
Breaking off what you don’t like 
And today you took my choice 
You took autonomy away from me, 
From my body 
So tonight in bed I will mourn 
But tomorrow I will fight 
For at the end of the day, 
This body is mine


Claire Sapan is an avid writer and feminist, hoping and fighting for a better world.