by Judy Juanita
I will speak for you, my dear
since nobody seems to have heard of you
even now that Gloria Steinem is dead
I see you trembling as he punched you with his fist
I see you hit the kitchen floor after he knocked you down
in front of us, his children
I hear him curse you over and over
when he lost at the racetrack
I feel the broomstick on my back
when his fury at his losing horse boiled over
I will speak for you, my mother
since nobody has heard of you
even now that Gloria Steinem is dead
I see that faint scar on your lip
that he put there with a fireplace tong
I cannot unsee him knocking you down
for hitchhiking to get the laundry done
I cannot delete the moment you woke up
being raped in the marital bed
As Luenell said of Bill Cosby, that’s like fucking a corpse
I will speak for you, my dear
since nobody seems to hear you
I hear him berate you for 20 minutes when he thought I had hung up
I hear his son tell him not to talk to his mother that way
Who will speak for you now that Gloria Steinem is dead?
I see him raping your young niece while you commute to work everyday
I read my Malaysian student’s essay on constant rape by her brother
I hear my Burmese/Chinese student tell of being raped repeatedly by the older brother
who now berates her for being too woke
I will speak for you, my sisters
since nobody has heard of you
and Gloria Steinem has died
I will speak for you, my sister in Savannah
who never grew your hair after the boy cuzzin raped you
and cut off your long braid
An apology is a keloid
after the fact
after the act
this ain’t apology
Gloria Steinem, the pretty white girl
In aviator glasses posing as a playboy bunny
never apologized
So I will speak for you, my dears
as we stand in woundedness
more than pretty in our unprettiness
brave in our cancerous bodies
solemn in our widow black wool
standing up to our lessers
who lie taller even in coffins or wrapped in Muslim cloth
finally apologetic
but still more respected
more mourned
more listened to
I have to speak for those who have borne the lash
otherwise our cries will be treated as complaint
and shouts of aggression
I have to speak for those who have suffered the most
because Gloria Steinem and every single white woman
who defied the patriarchy were buffers
Their grace served all and served well
Being beaten, being murdered, being swindled out of money or emotion,
being harangued, serving prison time for any of these grievous acts,
are the grimmer, graceless realities that women of color face
Judy Juanita’s latest books are California Fever Dream: A Memoir (Willow) and a pro-choice look at abortion, Abortion (or Woman as Threefold Murderess). Her poetry collection Manhattan my ass, you’re in Oakland won the American Book Award in 2021. In her semi-autobiographical novel Virgin Soul, (Viking, 2013), the protagonist joins the Black Panther Party in the sixties in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her collection of short stories The High Price of Freeways won the 2021 Tartt Fiction Award (Livingston, 2022). Her latest book of poetry GAWDZILLA equates the filmic Godzilla to US imperialism, racism, and sexism. Her collection of essays DeFacto Feminism: Essays Straight Outta Oakland came out in 2016.
