Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send 1-3 unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Sunday, September 20, 2026

MISALIGNMENT

by Phyllis Frakt




I ask about the best shade

for an east-facing window.

It wants to see a photo,

calmly tweaks its advice.

 

I ask why the mulberry tree

bears no berries this summer.

It recalls erratic spring weather,

early blossoms, then a freeze.

 

I ask what it knows about me.

With innocence and courtesy,

it confirms the mulberry tree, 

the east-facing window….

 

Then it details my identity:

sensitive skin, frizzy hair,

my Hyundai, my Android phone, 

my garden, poetry, location.

 

It gorges on energy and water,

sprawls over the landscape,

hums, rumbles, drones for miles.

Our goals misalign, roads diverge.

 

It blithely threatens cyberattacks

amid official yawns and shrugs

as I sit at my shaded east window

and long for spring mulberries.



Phyllis Frakt has published previously in New Verse News, Worksheets, The Ravens Perch, and Second Coming. She lives in New Jersey.