Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

MAY OR MAY NOT

by David Breeden


That ain’t like me

That’s all I got to say
That ain’t like me

I’m not sure at all
If Jesus walked by

He’d ask me to join up
Or if he was

More like George Bush
I’m not at all sure

I’d make it as one
Of them twelve at all

Of if I’m too fucked up
To be among fish collectors

And tax catchers—I’m
Not sure at all I’d be asked

To join the list. Me
A guy who cares

Too much about the poor
We’ll have to leave it

Up to the gentleman who
May or may not come back

We’ll see but until then
It’s up to us to wonder

If someone who loves everyone
Has any business with that guy

The Jesus one who may
Or may not wander back by


David Breeden is a labor organizer and writes poetry when he can.