Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

FORSAKEN

by John Cross


I have viewed the desolate Plains of Judea
from high atop the brow of a skull-shaped hill.

And I saw many things.

And I spoke of what I saw,
and did as I said I would
since I spoke of these things.

I have offered my domain to those who are poor in spirit.
I have granted homesteads to those who are meek.
I have comforted those who mourn.
I have sated those who are hungry and thirsty for justice.
I have shown mercy to those who are merciful.
I have looked upon those who are clean of heart.
I have adopted as my children those who strive to make peace.
I have offered my house to those who suffer persecution for the sake of
justice.

Why then, do some speak of my coming again,
when I have already spoken of all you need to know?

I have viewed the desolate Plains of Judea
from high atop the brow of a skull-shaped hill.
And have no desire to view those Plains again.

Did you not hear what I was saying?

Put down your hymnals.
Put down your exultation
of those who claim to know
what is in my mind.
Put down your differences.

And do as I have already spoken.


John Cross holds a BA and MA in History from Kent State University. He has spent the last 35 years pursuing a career in Marketing Communications. He is active in local grassroots progressive politics and in support of organizations offering services to the disabled. He has been writing poetry, primarily for his own consumption and sanity, since the mid-1960s.