Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Friday, February 15, 2008

HOLY THURSDAY IN AMERICA

by Steve Hellyard Swartz


Readiness is all
In a country such as this
One never knows
When one will meet one's bliss
The day after the day when the children get shot
Is always a busy time
We all need to shop for something somber, preferably dark
We all need to come together, at a time like this, preferably in some park
I can't think straight so I'm asking you to give me a hand
Remember, if you can, the name of the young man
The guy, big burly sort, that dated your cousin's daughter that summer
Remember, we all had a laugh, he was a funny kid
Over by the keg there, saying what he did
The big kid, now what the hell was his name?
Said he was a writer
You gotta know who I mean?
You know the kid I mean
I even remember a line he quoted, from a poem by Robert Blake
"The children walking two and two, in red and blue and green".
Remember how I ribbed him, remember me going:
"Two and two? It's two by two"!
And the kid goes: "Says you"!
But in such a goofy way, not like most kids today
Know what I mean?
The way they look at ya with their eyebrows instead of their eyes
Man, why can't I remember the name of that guy?
Was he Robert, too, like the poet dude Blake?
I remember like it was yesterday
Your cousin's daughter - the way she walked outta the water
And the way that poet kid looked at her
He had big arms, dammit, and I think he was a pizza guy
I think his dad is Angelo, or maybe Tony
One of those two
Over at Inferno, or Vesuvius
I'm not thinking straight today
What are they saying now?
The shooter used a handgun on himself?
I was right, what I said last night
Don't ask how I knew, I knew
John, maybe? Or Johnny? The name of the kid?
Call your cousin, she can track down his number
I know, I know they stopped seeing each other
But this kid's gotta know a poem or two
Something the parents can use
Nobody is gonna know what to say
That kid knew a shitload of poems, remember that day?
Black hair, slicked back, and that gap between his teeth
A Cubs tank top: Go Cubs, 2003
Funny what shit like this can do to your head
I remember his stupid shirt, remember what it said
What's the matter?
What's wrong?
Look at me
Don't cry
We'll come up with his name
Or we won't
No nevermind
C'mon, honey, don't cry
Oh
Oh, shit
He was one of the ones that died?


Steve Hellyard Swartz's poetry has appeared in The New Verse News, Best Poem, The Kennesaw Review, Haggard and Halloo, and switched-on gutenberg. In 1990, his film Never Leave Nevada opened in Dramatic Competition at the U.S. Sundance Film Festival. In 2008, his poetry will appear in The Paterson Review and The Southern Indiana Review.