Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Friday, February 14, 2014

WHEN WE FIRST

by Holly Day


Image Source: Confetti Love


he gave me the new word, “love”
folded it into fourths, tore it to careful pieces of pink confetti.
I swallowed hard, felt it go down my throat

and although the pieces were so tiny, so small
I could still feel them somewhere inside me,
halfway down, lodged and refused to move

I got the second word, “home,” shortly afterward
the individual letters were illegible, as though someone else
had tried to swallow them before me
could only be reassembled through the process of

imagination. Some of the pieces of this new
disassembled puzzle
must have gotten stuck on their way down,
because although I do believe the words are still there, inside me
something in me still doesn’t understand what they mean.


Holly Day was born in Hereford , Texas , also known as “The Town Without a Toothache.” She and her family currently live in Minneapolis , Minnesota, where she teaches at the Loft Literary Center . Her published books include Music Theory for Dummies, Music Composition for Dummies, and Guitar All-in-One for Dummies.