Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send 1-3 unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, August 03, 2026

AT THE VIGIL

by Jac-Lynn Stark 





On an evening when dark clouds 

forming overhead threaten to release 

their tears down to this world

I venture out to Lynn District Court

to gather with others who care about people 

of this city abducted at traffic stops 

on their way to work or in 

some other every day situation that 

most of us don’t have to fear

at least not yet

 

Earlier that day I lurked in courthouse hallways

observing two men who looked oh so ordinary

in their jeans and khakis, t-shirts, sneakers

but we know who they work for and why they are here

we know their license plates and their objectives

we know the violence within them 

that I watched on recordings a woman I met showed me

 

Now groups of us gather under gloomy skies

a mix of skin color and languages

of ages and experiences 

from a variety of neighborhoods

 

A long table holds photographs of men 

whose wives are now alone

whose children miss their fathers

candles and flowers adorn this table of sorrow

as we witness people telling their stories

 

One young woman gets up to speak

two children holding her hands

her pink-clad daughter hides shyly behind her

her 11-year-old son strong and serious next to her

in his white t-shirt that says Let’s Taco About It

he takes the microphone and talks about his father

how much he misses him

how worried he is

he thanks us for being there

 

Oh young warrior, only 11, but not afraid to speak up

I think of my grandparents leaving Poland

I think of the poem on the Statue of Liberty:

“give me your tired, your poor,

your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…”

I think of these lines from Warsan Shire

“no one leaves home unless
home is the mouth of a shark”

 

Oh America, what have we become?

 

 

Jac-Lynn Stark was born in the Bronx and lives north of Boston where she enjoys pondering life either from near the ocean or in the woods. She recently retired from 14 years of teaching English at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston. Her work has been published in Maintenant 19, A Journal of Dada Writing and ArtOrange is not a colour, Poems against totalitarianismAmerican Graveyard, calls to end gun violence, and others. She is a proud granddaughter of immigrants and a volunteer with LUCE Immigrant Justice Network of Massachusetts.