people are exposed to more toxins…damaging lungs…brains…other organs
entering the woods wondering about teshuvah–return, repair, restart,
welcomed by a tufted titmouse repeating peter-peter-peter
and two great blue herons with 6-foot wing spans taking flight
PM2.5…measured by air quality indexes…other substances…lead, mercury, formaldehyde
walking steadily, trees newly fallen join so many already decaying
quickly replaced by new growth vying for space
away from the road, the woods quiet save for a steady hum of crickets,
the call of a nuthatch, the squeal of a catbird, the hammering of a woodpecker
sounds of machinery in the distance
in populated areas…especially toxic…fires…consume…buildings, vehicles, electronics
suddenly a patch of blackberries, but I walk on, for I didn’t come to the woods to pick,
but irrepressible desire overcomes, I turn around and pick enough for my granola,
until the loss of my lid’s container and my memory of what I did with it
pierce my delight and set me to questioning and despairing of myself
wildfire smoke and …cardiovascular hospitalizations, diabetes complications, preterm birth, cancer, impaired cognition, respiratory effects
the steady rhythm of my walking restores my wellbeing
as I think of ancient sages meditating an hour before prayer,
focusing so intently, even a snake crawling up their leg would go unnoticed,
and far that I am from that degree of connection, still I stop for prayer,
accompanied by the chirping of a chipmunk and the chattering of distant birds
no amount of smoke exposure …isn’t harmful…using masks and air filters more frequently
rising from prayer ready to complete my walk and enter the day,
I carry with me new understanding of the potential pitfalls
of physical desire and action taken too soon,
as I continue to contemplate teshuvah in the face of global crisis
best way to mitigate risks…to prevent catastrophic fires…addressing the root cause:…climate change
Katy Z. Allen is a lover of the more-than-human world, poet, retired rabbi of an outdoor congregation, former healthcare chaplain, and co-founder of a Jewish climate organization. Her poetry has been published or is forthcoming in print and online in such places as The New Verse News, Amethyst Review, The Bluebird Word, Cosmic Daffodil, The Soliloquist Journal and Art on the Trails: Number 9. She was awarded Honorable Mention in The Prose Poem’s 2025 Prose Poetry Competition, and her book, A Tree of Life: A Story in Word, Image, and Text was published by Strong Voices Publishing.
