Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, December 24, 2007

BIRTH OF THE SUN

by Katherine West


You are an orange in winter snow
You are an orange in a white bowl
a still life still frozen

by brush and oil and canvas and art
by frost and crystals and drifts of art
a still orange in winter art

a still life on a winter horizon
a still life golden-orange
on the white plate of winter dawn

on the white plates of my winter hands
in the blue bowls of my winter eyes
in the still bowl of my belly life

When I laugh you jump into the bowl of blue
When I laugh you leap in the bowls of blue
When I laugh you leap in the bowls of blue


Katherine West is a poet presently living in northern Colorado and teaching Creative Writing at the local community college, museum, and Naropa University, which is in nearby Boulder, Colorado.