by Steve Bowman
I don’t have the courage of my friends
to post in protest of this tyrannical regime.
All day every day they’re writing
trump this trump that
all over social media. I tell myself
what’s the point?
A random post here and there
won’t change anything
it’s just a waste of time.
Truth is I’m scared.
Of who will respond.
Of not knowing enough to argue.
Of being shamed into silence again.
Of losing.
Maybe winning isn’t the point.
Maybe getting up the nerve is enough.
To say what’s wrong is wrong.
To show it’s possible to tell the truth.
To help others find their voice.
To speak with hope.
Steve Bowman’s work has appeared in multiple publications, including Last Leaves, Keeping the Flame Alive, Poets in the Pines, Mocking Owl Roost, Purple Aardvark, and Heart of Flesh. When not writing, Steve seeks inspiration with his little dog, Grummle, in the hills and leaves of Southern Indiana.
