Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send 1-3 unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Tuesday, October 06, 2026

HERSTORY

by MaryLisa DeDomenicis


AI-generated graphic by NightCafĂ© for The New Verse News.


I was only sixteen
when my best friend’s 
father stuck his hands up
my shirt and his tongue 
down my throat.

I was terrified to tell her
yet somehow she knew 
so I didn’t have to.

After my best friend’s father 
I never went braless.
Never mind I was donned 
in a thick crewneck sweatshirt—

He saw something
He wanted.

You don’t even have to be 
beautiful.
You only have to be
a girl.


Editor’s note: The New Verse News is honored to continue to host, in the wake of the news at Cornell, a series of courageous memoir poems.


A Best of the Net and Best New Poets (2026) nominee and NJSCA fellow, MaryLisa studied poetry at Stockton University. A three-time Pushcart nominee, her poems have won two Murphywriting awards, a Toni Brown Memorial Scholarship Award, and a Stillwaters Woman’s Words Chapbook competition. She’s had work published by Rattle, The American Journal of Poetry, and Mudfish, among others and her poems can be found in several anthologies including most recently Screaming Beyond Borders, a Woman Scream Series.