Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send 1-3 unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Friday, October 02, 2026

SHELLS

by Sam Friedman


On this first day of fall,
my 84-year-old body totters
on my afternoon walk.
Acorns litter the street,
and a shattered shell lands
beside me,
straight from a gray squirrel’s mouth.
 
I think of my dear friends
Ania and Pasha
many thousands of miles
east of that sated squirrel,
east of that shattered shell,
 
and I hope and I pray
no shells land beside them
straight from a Russian drone’s mouth.


Sam Friedman is a poet, activist, and public health researcher. He has published two books of poetry and poems in a variety of magazines.